Monday, March 19, 2012

Boat work weekend - Part 3


(There’s orange juice in my fuel tank!)

            So after changing the raw water impeller, partially changing the oil and using my Herculean strength to change the primary fuel filter, I had an idea. Actually, I had a nagging voice in my head screaming at me to check the state of my fuel. “It’s important to make sure it’s fine before you start your engine, and will be cripplingly expensive if you don’t because you’re lazy.”

            “Fine” I thought to myself. “I’ll check it out” I drained the primary filter’s bowl and looked at the diesel. Nice, dark-read diesel fuel, with only a little sediment came out. 

            “Not good enough. Check the tank,” said the voice.

            “How?” I asked myself.

            “Go, get a pump and a small bucket, and pump out the bottom of the tank”

            I dragged myself off the boat, got into my car and headed to my local marine store (free plug for West Marine). A place where they know my first name and phone number because I’m there so often. I picked up a small brass pump and a two-gallon bucket. Came back to the boat and started pumping.

            I anticipated a little growth or a little water. Nothing too serious based upon the fuel that was in the primary filter. I figured I would satisfy my irritating conscience, add some water remover and bio agent and be done with it. What a didn’t expect to see was this-

Yummy! Remember, when pumping out your diesel tank, it's not the size of your pump, but the  shear size of your determination and stubbornness that gets the job done.
  
            Yes, that is a bucket of my diesel fuel. Doesn’t it look tasty? Perhaps due to the fact that I slaved over the engine all day without any food or drink, or maybe because my mind was trying to create a comedic environment to prevent any feelings of anger or resentment from manifesting, but I swear this stuff, which was once and should be diesel fuel, looks a lot like orange juice; Not only in color, but also in texture.

            “Ha!” exclaimed that annoying voice in my mind. “Good thing you checked, now you’ll just need to pump it all out.” I was about to yell shut up, but I realized I would appear to be yelling at myself, which may draw strange looks and gossip from the neighbors, and technically, I was right. Bravo to me for being so smart and full of foresight!

            So I pumped and pumped. Drained my bucket and pumped some more. Two hours and ten trips later and I drained the tank. That’s roughly ten gallons worth of OJ- looking, old diesel fuel. I poured in the fuel additives to shock what little was left inside the tank and packed up for the day.  Next week, I’ll add 5 gallons of fresh diesel. Rock Sailor’s Soul widely at the docks to try to get as much gunk as possible off the inside of the tank, then pump all that out.  I’ll follow up with more fuel and a second additive shocking. At that point, the fuel system will be ready for service.  My new filters will be installed. Fresh oil will be added. Wiring will be finalized. And Sailor’s Soul will breath and rumble into its new life (cross your fingers as I’ll be keeping mine crossed for the next week.).

That wraps-up my boat work weekend. Hope you guys enjoyed reading and thanks for being a part of the journey

Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment