Thursday, March 8, 2012


The Pearson 300

      Life is full of twists and turns, opportunity and pitfalls. Ever since I began sailing I decided to throw most of my learned cautions and cynicism to the wind. It is the wind that carries a sailor forward, after all. About two months ago I came across an internet listing for a free boat in need of a little TLC. Now I already have a boat, which was also free, and was getting plenty TLC whenever the weather and travel time permitted for the 100 mile round trip. Dishearteningly, complications and delays stemming from the weather and distance turned that one-year refit into a three-year project. Resulting with my Bristol was sitting solid, sealed and safe on dry land. I doubted I would finish her repairs and refit for another year of two. So, I thought to myself “what the hell?” a phone call and a look can’t hurt....  It did. 

      Well, here it is!  Without any further ado, fanfare or literary exposition, I give you my Pearson 300.

      Yes I got another boat. I now what you’re thinking “How the (insert bewilderment/harsh expletive) did this guy find another free boat?”  Well, I’ll tell you. It’s one part luck, one part keeping an open mind while wearing rose colored glasses and two parts willing to take on a major project, while setting all other things aside, in the hopes of realizing the potential of an immensely positive probable outcome... In short, I’m a little crazy, BUT, I am they guy you want to bring on a road trip or if you're bored without any plans. I will spice things up, make you cough-out your lungs laughing, or make you crazy. In the end you’ll have undertaken the greatest adventure of your life. I guaranty it!!!

      Back to the boat, The Pearson 300 was built in very small numbers between 1969 and 1970. The rough estimate is between 100 - 150 hulls.  The 300 shares a hull with the Pearson Wanderer, as the same molds were used for both boats. Beyond the hulls, there are a few major design departures, as it seems Pearson was trying to appeal to a certain market.  The 300 has a large coach roof which creates a cavernous amount of interior space for a 30 foot sailboat, including a separate dinette to port and a long galley to starboard, forward of a full size day bed on the same side. Forward the dinette and opposite the galley is the ships head and shower separated by a large sliding door. Ultimately, v-berth, in a separate forward cabin, complete with drawers and a hanging locker are located in the forward part of the ship.  I was quite surprised by the space and headroom. I did find the following quote in SAIL magazine's Sailboat Directory (1969):

            “Pearson Yacht's latest entry in the auxiliary market, the Pearson 300 features power to spare, a commodious accommodation plan, private forward cabin, large toilet room and an elevated dinette for picture window visibility.”



        The Wandered has a somewhat sleeker exterior and interior arrangement.



      The Pearson 300 has slightly less sail area, with a modified boom and sail controls.  The previous excerpt SAIL magazine's quote continues:

            “Her rig has been brought completely inboard to enable two people to handle her comfortably. The 300 is ideal for offshore cruising or for those leaving power boating in favor of sail.”

      I will definitely revisit these claims as soon as I get the sails back. I sent them to my local sail loft to have them cleaned and reconditioned.  The other major design change between the 300 and the Wandered is the 300's lack of centerboard.  The 300 has a full keel drawing just over 3 ½ feet of water, whereas the Wandered can extend her draft down to 7 feet whereby lowering her ballast and center of gravity further down than the 300. Some say that this will make the 300 slightly tenderer than the Wanderer under sail.  That’s possible, but my experience of her motion in less that favorable weather has been very positive. Two weeks ago I was working on various small wiring and cleaning projects while the wind was blowing at around 20 knots with quite a bit of chop in the water. I was tied to pilings, but while my neighbors were bouncing and bobbing about, I only noticed the occasional roll. More over, one of my family members, who likes anonymity, and suffers from motion sickness, did not get ill and even commented on being surprised they barely felt the boat move. I can’t wait to get my ship sailing. Another two weeks of refit and repairs and she will be ready to sail.  

      This weekend, I am installing a new starter; create the new bed mattresses and seat cushions, replace the running rigging, install safety netting and begin my gear review. The following week, I’ll be installing a new alternator; shocks cleaning my water tanks, picking up my cleaned and refurbished sails and begin commissioning her for my command. Can’t wait!!!

      In case you’re wondering how come I have been calling my ship 300 and not by name, it’s because, for the time being, she doesn’t have one.  I performed a de-naming ceremony last week, and I want to be certain her prior name has been forgotten and stricken from the record of the sea. By the time all the repairs and refit are complete, another two weeks will have past. Plenty of time for my application to trickle down past the relevant authorities of the deep and customary red tape on it’s way to landing on Poseidon’s desk for approval.  Immediately thereafter, my Pearson 300 will be named Sailor’s Soul. The real adventure will then begin. 

      Along  writing about all my experiences, I will be posting pictures and videos. I hope you find the preceding to be informative, helpful and entertaining. I look forward to reading your comments and impressions.

Happy sailing and see you on the water!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment